Steven Plitt is one of Arizona’s premier insurance coverage lawyers. Although he has provided coverage advice in 40 states, he currently manages a robust regional insurance coverage practice. His practice involves the handling of complex, high exposure insurance coverage and bad faith cases. Unlike most coverage lawyers who are only litigators, Mr. Plitt has first chair jury experience having tried to jury verdict cases in both state and federal court. As a trial lawyer, Mr. Plitt has extensive litigation experience and has managed a large litigation practice throughout his professional career. He has been inducted as a Fellow into the American College of Coverage and Extra-Contractual Counsel and The American Law Institute where he serves as a consulting member on the ALI’s development of the Restatement of the Law of Liability Insurance Law. He is listed in the Best Lawyers in America for insurance coverage (10+ years) In 2012 and 2017, he was selected as the Insurance Lawyer of the Year – Phoenix by Best Lawyers. Mr. Plitt has been selected every year (10+ years) as one of the top 50 lawyers in Arizona by Southwest Super Lawyers. Only a handful of lawyers have continuously made the list for each year it has been published. AZ Business Magazine lists Mr. Plitt within the top 100 lawyers in Arizona. Mr. Plitt has a national reputation as an insurance law scholar and commentator. As an Adjunct Professor, he has taught the Insurance Law curriculum at Arizona State University College of Law and is currently teaching insurance law at the University of Arizona College of Law. He is the current successor author of the nationally recognized and authoritative insurance coverage treatise Couch on Insurance 3d. He has also authored other national treatises on insurance law. Regarding Arizona law, his is the author of the treatise Arizona Liability Insurance Law and the senior contributing editor to the Arizona Tort Law Handbook. Mr. Plitt has authored more than 350+ law reviews and other professional legal publications involving insurance law issues. His scholarly writings have been cited by the Supreme Courts in 32 states, the Intermediate Appellate Courts in 22 states, 10 of the Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals, 38 Federal District Courts, the Federal Court of Claims and the Federal Bankruptcy Court. His writings have been cited in more than 91 scholarly articles on insurance law issues. These numbers are constantly out of date as more courts throughout the United States rely upon Mr. Plitt’s throught leadership on common and cutting edge insurance coverage issues. Mr. Plitt has been an expert consultant and witness for both insurance companies and insureds. He has reviewed and analyzed more than 6,000 claim files in his practice career from 100 different insurance companies. He has been an expert consultant in 600+ matters throughout the United States. He is a nationally recognized expert in the area of insurance claim handling practices, insurance company compliance with the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, as well as industry standard, custom and practice. He has been a licensed insurance broker (Arizona) since 1974. He also consults as an expert in insurance agent E&O claims. Mr. Plitt’s practice includes the handling of professional liability, wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases.
Associations & Activities
- American Law Institute
- American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
- Arizona Insurance Institute
- Insurance Litigation Reporter, Senior Contributing Editor and Editorial Board Member, 2006 – present
- Claims Journal, Editorial and Advisory Board member, 2012 – 2014
- Claims Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), Certified Litigation Management Professional (CLMP)
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale- Hubbell AV Rating
- AZ Business Magazine, Top 10 Lawyers in Arizona (Employee Benefits and Insurance)
- AZ Business Magazine, Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona (all categories)
- Listed in Arizona’s Finest Lawyers
- Southwest Super Lawyers 2007* – 2018, *inaugural year
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Top 50 Lawyers in Arizona, 2007* – 2018, *inaugural year
- Best Lawyers in America, 2012* and 2017 Phoenix Insurance Lawyer of the Year, *first year awarded
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2007- 2018
- Phoenix Magazine, Phoenix’s Top Lawyers, November 2006
- State Bar Association, Outstanding Contribution to Continuing Legal Education Award Recipient, 1999
- “Who’s Who in American Law”, 5th Edition
- “Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges”, 1978 – 1979
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U. S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Connecticut (L.L.M., Insurance Law, With Honors, 2012)
- University of Arizona (J.D., With Distinction, 1982)
- Arizona State University (B.S., summa cum laude and ‘with honors’, 1978)
- Hon. Judge Robert J. Corcoran, Arizona Court of Appeals, 1982 – 1983
- Legislative intern to the Chairman of the Committee on Banking and Insurance, House of Representatives, Arizona State Legislature, 1979
- University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Law, Insurance Law, 2010 – Present
- Arizona Summit Law School, Adjunct Professor, Insurance Law, 2014, 2015
- Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Adjunct Professor of Law, Insurance Law & Regulation, Liability Insurance, Advanced Coverage Research and Analysis, 2000 – 2005
News & Publications
In Parker v. Safeco Insurance Co. of America, 2016 WL 3911544 (Mont. July 19, 2016) the issue was whether damage to a vacation cabin from a large boulder that fell down a hillside and into the cabin structure was covered under the Safeco policy. Safeco’s policy...
The 2nd Circuit recently found that the sale of counterfeit branded goods was not covered as advertising injury under a commercial general liability policy. In USF&G v. Fendi Adele S.R.L., 823 F.3d 146 (2nd Cir. 2016), applying New York law, upheld the district...
The 11th Circuit Court Of Appeals, Interpreting Georgia Law, Recently Enforced A UIM Excess Policy Exhaustion Requirement In Disallowing A UIM Claim
The 11th Circuit held in Coker v. American Guarantee and Liability Insurance Co., 825 F.3d 1287 (11th Cir. 2016), interpreting Georgia law, that Georgia's UIM statute did not transform excess UIM policies into primary UIM policies. The court found that Georgia's...
Named for this honor are Helen R. Davis, Philip C. Gerard, William M. Demlong, Timothy R. Hyland, Steven Plitt, Scott A. Rose and Terry L Rakow.
Philip Gerard (Domestic Relations), and Timothy Hyland, Steven Plitt and Richard Woods (Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith, Insurance Defense) have been honored ten or more years by Super Lawyers.
William Demlong, Timothy Hyland and Steven Plitt were included in the Top 50 Arizona Lawyers list by Super Lawyers.
Southwest Super Lawyers selected 12 senior attorneys for its 2017 honor. Named for this honor are Helen R. Davis, William M. Demlong, Philip C. Gerard, Connie T. Gould, Christina S. Hamilton, Ralph E. Hunsaker, Timothy R. Hyland, Steven Plitt, Elliot H. Wernick, Richard J. Woods and Jerry D. Worsham II. Steven J. Gross, Jordan R. Plitt and John K. Wittwer were named as up-and-coming, Rising Stars.
Senior Members William Demlong, Timothy Hyland and Steven Plitt were selected by the AZ Business magazine to its Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona list. Selections are based on each lawyer’s professional success, impact on his or her law firm, impact on the communities she/he serves and impact on the legal profession.
Ten lawyers from the Firm were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (Copyright 2014 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC). Helen Davis – Family Law; Philip Gerard – Family Law; Terry Rakow – Litigation – Real Estate, Real Estate Law; Scott Rose – Land Use & Zoning Law, Real Estate Law; Richard Woods – Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants; Ralph Hunsaker – Litigation – Insurance; Scott Salmon – Product Liability Litigation; Timothy Hyland – Insurance Law; Steven Plitt – Insurance Law; William Demlong – Insurance Law, Litigation – Insurance.
Steven Plitt Named 2017 Insurance “Lawyer of the Year” in the Phoenix Area by Best Lawyers in America
Only a single lawyer in each practice and community are honored with a “Lawyer of the Year” award. This is the second time Steven Plitt has received this recognition.