Richard Mear’s litigation practice is driven by his desire to obtain effective and efficient results for his clients. His common sense approach is grounded in a complete immersion in his clients’ businesses, goals and products. Richard’s practice includes defending corporations in premises liability matters, product liability matters (including medical devices), and toxic tort matters involving asbestos and benzene exposure. He also has significant experience in cases involving transportation/trucking claims, construction defect claims, professional liability, medical malpractice, and in commercial business disputes involving claims of officer and director liability. Mr. Mear has extensive experience in all aspects of litigation including trial, mediation and arbitration. He has first-chaired and second-chaired several jury and bench trials to defense verdicts. Mr. Mear first-chaired a month-long products liability trial in Federal Court and obtained a defense verdict for his client, despite the plaintiffs’ initial demand for $30 million and $12 million pre-trial demand. In February of 2017, Mr. Mear concluded a two-week jury trial to defense verdict, which included an award of Rule 68 sanctions.
Associations & Activities
- The Harmonie Group
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Thurgood Marshall Inn of Court
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- J. Rueben Clark Law Society
- Board of Directors, Valley Youth Theatre
- Varsity Scout Coach, Cub Master Boy Scouts of America
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated Attorney in Litigation, Products Liability and Construction Law
- 2015 Top Rated Lawyer by The Arizona Republic
- Played five seasons of professional baseball with the St. Louis Cardinals, Detroit Tigers, and Arizona Diamondbacks
- Arizona, 2006
- Arizona District Court, 2006
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., 2006)
- Graduated in top 20% of class
- Participated in ATLA Trial Advocacy Team
- Dean’s List
- Brigham Young University (B.A., 2003)
- Golden Key Honor Society
- Guzman v. Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, 2017 WL 4337339 (D. Ariz. 2018)
- Musical v Telesteps Inc., 2016 WL 3969426 (D. Ariz. July 25, 2016)
- Monje v. Spin Master Inc., 2013 WL 2390625 (D. Ariz. 2013)
- Microchip Technology Inc. v. State of Arizona, et al., 283 P.2d 34, 635 Ariz. Adv. Rep. 31 (App. 2012)
- Pierce v. Laydon Leasing, Inc., 2011 WL1631931 (Ariz. App. 2011)
- Microgroup Mfg. Inc. v. Sottera Inc., Superior Court of Arizona, 2011 WL 1896725 (February 8, 2011)
- Caudillo v. City of Phoenix, 2010 WL 2146408 (Ariz. App. 2010)
News & Publications
Cavanagh attorneys Richard Mear and Karen Wohlgemuth obtained dismissal of equitable contribution claims brought by fellow subcontractor, Swann’s Grading, Inc. in Maricopa County Superior Court last year. Swann’s Grading sought contribution from several subcontractors...
Cavanagh attorney Richard Mear recently obtained a defense verdict on behalf of private landowners in Bisbee, Arizona, who alleged to have negligently caused the collapse of a 60 foot wide and 15-foot tall retaining wall resting between their property and the...
The Cavanagh Law Firm’s Defense Verdict for Clients in Product Liability Injury Case Upheld by 9th Circuit
Cavanagh attorneys Richard Woods and Richard Mear (lead counsel) obtained a defense verdict for a global toy retailer in a products liability matter pending in United States District Court, District of Arizona (Judge John Tuchi presiding). The plaintiffs had demanded...