Timea R. Hanratty joined the firm in 2014 as an Associate. Ms. Hanratty is now a Senior Member and practices exclusively in the Family Law and Domestic Relations area, representing clients in all aspects and stages of family court proceedings, including premarital agreements, paternity, administrative law proceedings related to child support, legal separation, divorce, and modification, with a specific interest in UCCJEA and UIFSA issues.
Ms. Hanratty was born in Csorna, Hungary, and is fluent in Hungarian. After living in Hungary and Germany, Ms. Hanratty emigrated to Seattle in 1988 and has lived in Phoenix since 1993. She graduated summa cum laude from Arizona State University (ASU) in 2007 with a B.S. in Justice Studies. Before, during, and after college, Ms. Hanratty worked for the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) for five years, which experience has proved useful in cases involving ASRS retirement benefits as assets. Ms. Hanratty received her J.D. from the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at ASU in 2011. During her tenure in law school, Ms. Hanratty co-founded the first family law student association, the Joel Shepard Family Law Assistance Program (JSFLAP) (formerly Family Law Assistance Program, renamed after the passing of co-founder, Joel Shepard), which established mentoring relationships between local family law attorneys and students wishing to practice in family law and created family law pro bono opportunities for students. JSFLAP remains a thriving student association at ASU and Ms. Hanratty volunteers her time during pro bono events. During law school, Ms. Hanratty was awarded a scholarship by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML). Ms. Hanratty also held leadership roles in the Juvenile Legal Assistance Program, the Women Law Students Association, and the Advocacy Program Against Domestic Violence. Her externship activities included serving as a legal extern for the Honorable Bruce R. Cohen, Superior Court in Maricopa County, Family Division, and in the family law department of Community Legal Services. After law school, Ms. Hanratty practiced in the area of estate planning, probate, and guardianships/conservatorships, with an emphasis in special needs trusts.
Associations & Activities
- Arizona Chapter of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AZ AFCC), Board of Directors Student Representative, 2010 – 2012; Young Professional Member, 2012 – 2014; Executive Council Secretary, 2015 – current; Summit Project Committee Member and Drafter, 2011- current
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association, Maricopa Chapter, 2018 – current, Executive and Steering Committee, Member
- State Bar of Arizona
- Executive Council, Family Law Section: Young Lawyers Division Liaison, 2015 – current
- Executive Council, Family Law Section: Legislative Committee Chair, 2016 – 2019
- Executive Council, Family Law Section: Case Law Committee Chair, 2019 – current
- Young Lawyers Division: Family Law Section Liaison, 2015 – current
- Young Lawyers Division: Family Law Section CLE Committee Chair, 2016 – 2019
- Maricopa County Bar, Family Law Section member
- Joel Shepard Family Law Assistance Program, ASU Law, Pro bono volunteer
- AAML Institute for Family Law Associates, Advanced Program, participant
Awards & Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2020 and 2021
- Arizona, 2012
- Arizona State University (J.D., 2011; B.S., 2007, summa cum laude)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Constitutional Law II
- Arizona Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) scholarship recipient
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts scholarship recipient
- Pro Bono Service with High Distinction Award recipient
- Russell L. Duncan Justice Studies scholarship recipient
- School of Justice Studies Writing Mentor
News & Publications
The Cavanagh Law Firm is pleased to announce that 14 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 27th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America. We are also deeply proud to announce that The Best Lawyers in America also named Phil C. Gerard the Family Law...
The Cavanagh Law Firm is an outstanding and distinguished law firm in Arizona that covers a variety of practices. The Firm’s exceptional lawyers have an impressive history litigating complex and sophisticated cases. The firm has been recognized by U.S. News - Best...
The Cavanagh Law Firm was selected as one of the "10 Best Law Firms" for Arizona Client Satisfaction in the practice area of Family Law.
U. S. News 2nd World Report and Best Lawyers Recognizes the Cavanagh Law Firm With Tier 1 Rankings in the Following Practice Areas:
Family Law Insurance Law Litigation - Real Estate Litigation - Tax Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants Real Estate Law