Timothy R. Hyland is a Senior Member in the Phoenix office of The Cavanagh Law Firm, P.A. He has been representing the insurance industry in complex insurance coverage and litigation matters for thirty years. He has extensive experience in the analysis and litigation of complex insurance claims and coverage in both the first-party and third-party contexts. Mr. Hyland’s practice involves many lines of insurance including automobile, property, general liability, professional responsibility, life, health and disability.
Tim’s practice also includes substantial commercial business and personal injury matters for businesses and individuals. Tim has litigated matters involving wrongful death, trucking accidents, premises liability, commercial business disputes and real estate and homeowner association matters.
Tim has been selected for inclusion in the SOUTHWEST SUPERLAWYERS (r) every year since 2007 for insurance coverage. Mr. Hyland has also been named one of the top 50 lawyers in Arizona by SOUTHWEST SUPERLAWYERS (r) every year since 2011. Tim was also selected by BEST’s as a top lawyer in insurance law from 2015 to the present. Further, Tim has been named as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona by AZ Business magazine from 2015 to the present. Tim has previously served as a Judge Pro Tem for the Arizona Court of Appeals. Tim is rated as an AV Preeminent Attorney.
Tim has served in a number of volunteer activities both professionally and in the community. Such activities include: service as a Delegate to the American Bar Association House of Delegates; participation on the Arizona Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness including a year as its Chair; and service on the Arizona State Bar Board of Governors and the Maricopa County Bar Association Board of Directors. Tim has also served as a faculty member on several seminar panels both for the legal profession and in presentations to insurance clients. Tim is also proud to serve on the Board of Trustees of All Saints’ Episcopal Day School.
Tim graduated with High Distinction in 1985 with High Distinction from the University of Arizona College of Law. Tim is a member of the State Bar of Arizona, the American Bar Association, the American Bar Foundation, the Maricopa County Bar Association, and the Arizona Association of Defense Counsel.
Associations & Activities
- Board of Trustees, All Saints’ Episcopal Day School
- Arizona Supreme Court Chair of Committee on Character and Fitness (2008-2009); Committee on Character and Fitness (2002-2009); Judicial Performance Review Team (2000, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012)
- American Bar Association Delegate to the American Bar Association House of Delegates (2001-2009); Delegate YLD Assembly (1992-1996); Fellow of the American Bar Association Member, TIPS Section
- Arizona State Bar Association Board of Governors Member (1995-1996); Member, Appellate Section
- Arizona State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division; Arizona YLD President (1995-1996); Executive Council (1992-1997)
- Maricopa County Bar Association; Maricopa County Bar Association Board of Directors (1992-1993; 1994-2001)
- Maricopa County Young Lawyers Division MCBA/YLD President (1992-1993); Board of Directors (1988-1994)
- Foundation For Legal Services and Education; Fellow of the Foundation LRE Committee (1999-2009)
- Maricopa County Superior Court Hearing Officer Selection Committee (2000-2002); Maricopa County Civil Study Committee (1990-1991)
- Legislative Intern to the Chairman of the Committee on Government Operations, House of Representatives, Arizona State Legislature, 1982
- Legislative Intern to the Chairman of the Committee on Transportation, House of Representatives, Arizona State Legislature, 1982
Awards & Recognition
- Southwest Super Lawyers Top 50 Lawyers in Arizona, 2011 – current
- Southwest Super Lawyers for insurance coverage, 2007 – current
- The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, Commercial Litigation and Appellate Practice, 2015 – Present
- Top Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona, 2006
- Top 100 lawyers in Arizona by AZ Business Magazine, 2015 – present
- MCBA Robert M. Mills Member of the Year Award 2003
- Young Lawyer of the Year, 1998
- Attorney Award for Excellence in LRE, 1998
- MCBA Robert M. Mills Member of the Year Award, 1996
- PHOENIX Magazine Top Lawyer in Appellate Law (2022)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- Arizona State Courts
- University of Arizona (J.D. with High Distinction, 1985)
- Grand Canyon College, (B.A. Behavioral Science and Government with High Distinction, 1982)
- Hon. James Duke Cameron, Arizona Supreme Court, 1985 – 1986
News & Publications
The Cavanagh Law Firm is pleased to announce that 14 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 27th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America. We are also deeply proud to announce that The Best Lawyers in America also named Phil C. Gerard the Family Law...
America's Most Honored Lawyer Recognition The Cavanagh Law Firm is proud to recognize that many of our attorneys have recently received professional honors as America's Most Honored Lawyers by American Registry. Thirteen of the Firm’s attorneys have been awarded the...
Top Arizona Attorneys Every year the best of the best lawyers get recognized by their peers for their professional achievements in law. The Super Lawyers Top 50 Lawyers for Arizona has been announced and The Cavanagh Law Firm attorneys have made the grade. Super...
The Cavanagh Law Firm is an outstanding and distinguished law firm in Arizona that covers a variety of practices. The Firm’s exceptional lawyers have an impressive history litigating complex and sophisticated cases. The firm has been recognized by U.S. News - Best...
Senior Members William M. Demlong, Timothy R. Hyland and Steven Plitt on Prestigious List The Cavanagh Law Firm is proud to announce three of our attorneys have been recognized in Arizona Business Magazine as among the Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona. Each year, Arizona...
Named for this honor are Helen R. Davis, Philip C. Gerard, William M. Demlong, Timothy R. Hyland, Steven Plitt, Scott A. Rose and Terry L Rakow.
Philip Gerard (Domestic Relations), and Timothy Hyland, Steven Plitt and Richard Woods (Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith, Insurance Defense) have been honored ten or more years by Super Lawyers.
William Demlong, Timothy Hyland and Steven Plitt were included in the Top 50 Arizona Lawyers list by Super Lawyers.
Southwest Super Lawyers selected 12 senior attorneys for its 2017 honor. Named for this honor are Helen R. Davis, William M. Demlong, Philip C. Gerard, Connie T. Gould, Christina S. Hamilton, Ralph E. Hunsaker, Timothy R. Hyland, Steven Plitt, Elliot H. Wernick, Richard J. Woods and Jerry D. Worsham II. Steven J. Gross, Jordan R. Plitt and John K. Wittwer were named as up-and-coming, Rising Stars.
Senior Members William Demlong, Timothy Hyland and Steven Plitt were selected by the AZ Business magazine to its Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona list. Selections are based on each lawyer’s professional success, impact on his or her law firm, impact on the communities she/he serves and impact on the legal profession.