- Senior Member
Timothy R. Hyland is a highly-regarded member of The Cavanagh Law Firm, P.A's Phoenix office. For 30 years, he has been providing legal counsel on complex cases of insurance coverage and litigation. Mr. Hyland's professional record encompasses the evaluation and court proceedings of complex insurance claims relating to both first-party and third-party matters, including auto, property, general liability, life and health insurance, and disabilities.
Tim engages in many business and personal injury matters for both businesses and people. He has litigated cases which include wrongful death, truck accidents, real estate liability, business conflicts, and homeowner association concerns.
Tim has been selected for inclusion in the Southwest Super Lawyers every year since 2007 for insurance coverage. He has also been named one of the Top 50 Lawyers in Arizona by Southwest Super Lawyers every year since 2011. Tim was also selected by BEST's as a top lawyer in insurance law from 2015 to the present. Further, he has been named as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona by AZ Business magazine from 2015 to the present. Tim has previously served as a Judge Pro Tem for the Arizona Court of Appeals and is rated AV Preeminent through Martindale-Hubbell.
Tim has led many volunteer endeavors, both in his work environment and in the wider neighborhood. He was a Delegate for the American Bar Association House of Delegates; part of the Arizona Supreme Court's Committee on Character and Fitness, with a year as its Chair; and served on both the Arizona State Bar Board of Governors and the Maricopa County Bar Association Board of Directors. Additionally, Tim was also a teacher at several seminars for legal professionals and clients associated with insurance coverage. To top it all off, he is honored to be part of the Board of Trustees at All Saints' Episcopal Day School.
In 1985, Tim earned the highest honor when he graduated from the University of Arizona College of Law. His impressive credentials also include membership in the State Bar of Arizona, the American Bar Association, the American Bar Foundation, the Maricopa County Bar Association, as well as being a part of the Arizona Association of Defense Counsel.
- University of Arizona College of Law, Tucson, Arizona
- J.D. - 1985
- Honors: High Distinction
- Grand Canyon College, Phoenix, Arizona
- B.A. - 1982
- Honors: High Distinction
- Major: Behavioral Science - Criminal Justice and Government
- Arizona, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2005
- Hon. James Duke Cameron, Arizona Supreme Court, 1985 – 1986
- Board of Trustees, All Saints’ Episcopal Day School
- Arizona Supreme Court Chair of Committee on Character and Fitness (2008 - 2009); Commess (2002 - 2009); Judicial Performance Review Team (2000, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012)
- American Bar Association Delegate to the American Bar Association House of Delegates (2001 - 2009); Delegate YLD Assembly (1992 - 1996); Fellow of the American Bar Association Member, TIPS Section
- Arizona State Bar Association Board of Governors Member (1995 - 1996); Member, Appellate Section
- Arizona State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division; Arizona YLD President (1995 - 1996); Executive Council (1992 - 1997)
- Maricopa County Bar Association; Maricopa County Bar Association Board of Directors (1992 - 1993; 1994 - 2001)
- Maricopa County Young Lawyers Division MCBA/YLD President (1992 - 1993); Board of Directors (1988 - 1994)
- Foundation For Legal Services and Education; Fellow of the Foundation LRE Committee (1999 - 2009)
- Maricopa County Superior Court Hearing Officer Selection Committee (2000 - 2002); Maricopa County Civil Study Committee (1990 - 1991)
- Legislative Intern to the Chairman of the Committee on Government Operations, House of Representatives, Arizona State Legislature, 1982
- Legislative Intern to the Chairman of the Committee on Transportation, House of Representatives, Arizona State Legislature, 1982
- PHOENIX Magazine Top Lawyer in Appellate Law, 2022
- Southwest Super Lawyers Top 50 Lawyers in Arizona, 2011 – 2018
- Southwest Super Lawyers for insurance coverage, 2007 – present
- The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, Commercial Litigation and Appellate Practice, 2015 – present
- Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona by AZ Business Magazine, 2015 – present
- Top Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona, 2006
- MCBA Robert M. Mills Member of the Year Award 2003
- Young Lawyer of the Year, 1998
- Attorney Award for Excellence in LRE, 1998
- MCBA Robert M. Mills Member of the Year Award, 1996