- Senior Member
As a litigator, Jordan Plitt has handled several difficult insurance coverage, professional liability, business litigation, and catastrophic personal injury defense cases. He appreciates assisting commercial insurance organizations in navigating and resolving issues or inquiries quickly, efficiently, and correctly because his family has strong origins in the insurance sector. He has advised numerous commercial insurance companies on challenging and high-exposure coverage matters across the country, including Arizona, California, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Texas, Florida, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Ohio, North Carolina, Montana, Alaska, Arkansas, Minnesota, Washington, Michigan, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri and North Dakota. Representing insurance companies in the defense of insurance bad faith claims also constitutes a sizable percentage of Mr. Plitt's work. He puts a lot of effort into defending and fighting for his insurer clients.
Since 2012, Mr. Plitt has been selected for inclusion in the Rising Stars list in the area of insurance coverage by Southwest Super Lawyers. He also frequently talks and writes on insurance law-related subjects. He is one of three associate authors for the third edition of Couch on Insurance, an authoritative treatise on insurance law that is widely used and cited by courts and attorneys across the country. In addition, he is a co-author of Practical Tools for Handling Insurance Cases, a book that tries to simplify difficult insurance coverage concerns for lawyers around the nation. Mr. Plitt, every year, co-chairs the Arizona Insurance Law Institute, a two-day continuing legal education event offered by the State Bar of Arizona that covers complicated insurance matters and contributes to its planning and content development.
A sizable amount of Mr. Plitt's practice also entails professional liability and commercial litigation defense in addition to insurance coverage litigation. In high-exposure matters, he actively represents and defends lawyers, accountants, architects, and engineers as well as manufacturers of insurance. Additionally, he has experience representing clients in high-risk products liability matters, such as those involving asbestos exposure.
- Arizona State University, Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law, Tempe, Arizona
- J.D. - 2010
- Honors: cum laude
- Arizona State University, W.P. Carey School of Business
- B.S. Finance - 2007
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Arizona, 2010
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 2010
- Southwest Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2012 – 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, 2022 – present, Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, and Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- PHOENIX Magazine Top Lawyer in Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith, 2022
- Obtained summary judgment for insurance carrier finding no coverage under successive commercial general liability policies for claims involving allegedly defective auxiliary power units the Insured manufactured for installation on semi-trailer trucks to operate climate control and other functions, holding that claim did not involve an “occurrence” caused by “property damage."
- Obtained summary judgment for insurance carrier finding no coverage for general contractor’s additional insured tender and subcontractor’s tender of its defense and indemnity for alleged construction defect claims under successive commercial general liability policies because there was no “property damage” caused by an “occurrence."
- Obtained withdrawal of additional insured tender from steel erecting company prior to filing declaratory judgment action on behalf of insurance carrier under motor carrier coverage for catastrophic injuries sustained by plaintiff while unloading a trailer.
- Obtained summary judgment for homeowners’ association finding association did not breach its contract with homeowner regarding land dispute for purported setback violations.
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- American Association of Defense Counsel
- Arizona Insurance Law Institute Co-Chair