Cybersecurity And Privacy
The firm’s Cybersecurity and Privacy practice group is an interdisciplinary team handling a wide range of complex matters including data breach response, planning, cyber insurance coverage, regulatory interaction, compliance, and litigation.
When a cyber incident occurs, there is no time to get up to speed on technology concepts. The firm’s Cybersecurity and Privacy team includes a former software developer and chair of the Arizona State Bar Technology Committee who can assist on a 24/7 basis. The team serves as a breach coach and handles complex state and federal data security and privacy matters such as:
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH)
- Computer Fraud & Abuse Act (CFAA)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 (FACTA)
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- State-specific breach notification requirements
Other services provided by Cavanagh’s Cybersecurity and Privacy group include developing and reviewing data security/privacy policies and procedures, serving as an outside privacy officer, drafting/ reviewing partner and vendor contracts, privacy disclosures, website and social media terms, BYOD policies, employee and executive level training, tabletop exercises, risk assessments, gap analysis, compliance recommendations, and complex cyber insurance matters. The firm’s attorneys are experienced in interacting with regulators, forensic investigators, cyber insurance brokers and carriers, and law enforcement, as well as establishing call center support, credit monitoring, identity theft recovery, breach notifications, and related data breach services.